Jesus made a very strange statement to His original disciples. It’s like He was saying that they [and we today] would live a life of persecution from many sources.
16) Behold, I send you forth as sheep [defenseless] in the midst of wolves [devouring animal]: be you therefore wise as serpents, and harmless [innocent] as doves.
17) But beware of men: for they will deliver you up to the councils, and they will scourge you in their synagogues [places of worship];
18) And you shall be brought before governors and kings for My sake, for a testimony against them and the Gentiles [other nations].
19) But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what you shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what you shall speak.
20) For it is not you that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaks in you.
21) And the brother [physical] shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
22)And you shall be hated of all men for My name’s sake: but he that endures to the end shall be saved.
23) But when they persecute you in this city, flee you into another: for verily I say unto you, You shall not have gone over the cities of Israel till the Son of man be come.
Not only did Jesus warn the saints of His day, but He gave the time setting as till the Son of man be come!!! That means today! When the New World Order of Revelation 13 closes in, they will seek to wipe out the name of Jesus from the face of the earth. That means, anyone who professes Jesus as the Savior of the world, will be their target for execution, extermination!!!
He said physical relatives would turn you over to the authorities for death. They will turn us in to save their own lives.
There are other scriptures that indicate that fellow church members or those who have become bitter against other church members will turn them in. A root of bitterness can cause a person’s life to become radically different than it once was. God the Father and Jesus will chastise every one they love (Hebrews 12:4-13). What if a person who is chastened of the Lord refuses to be corrected? They will develop a root of bitterness. against God and their once fellow brethren.
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which NO man shall see the Lord: Looking diligently lest any man FAIL of the grace of God; lest any ROOT OF BITTERNESS springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled. (Hebrews 12:14-15).
Jesus sent us into a world of unbelievers. Eventually, pressure will cause the unconverted to turn upon us with a vengeance. Some, who once professed that they were Christians, will develop a root of bitterness and show hatred by their actions toward the saints. The writer of Hebrews said they would FAIL to keep and understand the grace [forgiveness] of God.
Jesus sent us not only into the world, but into the church. In I Corinthians 3: 1, Paul said they were carnal or worldly. They weren’t behaving as true Christians. Why did Paul say they were still carnal? He said the identifying signs of being carnal and not spiritual were ENVY, being jealous of each other or someone, STRIFE and causing DIVISIONS among the church members. He said these actions prove a person to be carnal, and walk as unconverted men.
Not remaining in the grace of God could be disastrous for anyone. The writer in stated:
4) For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5) And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world [age] to come,
6) IF THEY SHALL FALL AWAY, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put Him to an open shame.
When we are sent into the world, we must maintain our faith at all cost; otherwise, a root of bitterness could crop up. We could lose everything that we have striven for thus far. Continual repentance is necessary to maintain our calling.