All around the world we live in there is overwhelming evidence of spiritual conflict! The forces of evil are working overtime to create havoc in our personal lives and the world around us. The Bible teaches clearly that there are evil supernatural forces seeking our moral and spiritual demise and if it were possible our physical destruction. Jesus described this scenario in John. 10:10a when he told us: “The thief (Devil) cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.” Demonic activity is increasing and these hordes of demonic forces led by Satan himself are actively seeking individuals to attack and destroy when possible. (1 Peter 5:8-9)
These last days we are living in are truly perilous or dangerous times just as God’s Word prophesied in 2 Timothy 3:1-4. The Bible says that they are only going to grow worse and worse (2 Timothy 4:13), especially when Satan himself and his hordes of hell invade planet earth which is clearly outlined in the book of Revelation, Chapters 9 & 12. This war that is raging is the consistent theme of scripture from beginning to end. In Genesis 3 we get our first glimpse and in Revelation 20 the war will conclude for a time with Satan the Devil, cast into the Lake of Fire. All of the chapters in between are for our edification, exhortation and warning to help us grow in holiness and godly living and not become a victim or casualty in this spiritual warfare.
How about in your life? Are you quenching God’s spirit by your lifestyle or are you allowing our Lord’s spirit to fill, empower and strengthen your soul! Is your life marked by daily discipline and self-control in the spiritual basics? Do you regularly study God’s Word, pray, memorize and meditate upon the scriptures? Are you willing to pay the price as a disciple of Jesus Christ? If you are, it will require that you be constantly on the alert so you are not caught by surprise by our adversary. We must make a determined effort to evaluate what our enemy is up to. As Paul tells us in (I Corinthians 16:13) we must be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong and let all that we do be done in love!
What should be our responsibility, on a daily basis, in the spiritual warfare we are a part of? We must be a good soldier of Jesus Christ by putting on our armor daily with prayer. Many fall prey to the snares of temptation, apathy, false doctrines and prayerlessness. Those who do are not ready for the Lord’s return! The antidote for anyone trapped like this is to repent and change their behavior by waking up – by knowing and applying God’s Word. Brethren, we should always be ready because we do not know the day or hour of Christ’s coming (Matthew 25:13). The Apostle John wrote, “Abide in Him so that if He should appear, we may have confidence and not be ashamed at His coming.” I John 2:28. What about you? Are you ready for our Lord’s return? Are you becoming skilled in the art of spiritual warfare? If not, you can begin today by doing the following:
1) Draw near and submit yourselves to God. Resist the Devil and he will flee from you. James 4:7-8
2) Take unto yourself the whole armor of God that you may be able to withstand in the evil day – and to stand firm. Ephesians 6:10-18
3) Know and live the truth. Understand your position in Christ. Practice daily a walk of honesty and live with moral integrity. Know what you believe. Stand firm in the faith.
4) Live righteously – Acquire personal holiness and develop Godly character.
5) Never doubt! Have faith that God will help you overcome.
6) Anchor your soul in the truth of God’s Word. Continue in sound doctrine and apply it.
7) Pray always! Prayer is the cement that holds it all together. Develop the daily habit of being persistent, alert – intense and believing in your prayer. Prayer and fasting on occasion can be a very powerful weapon.
Brethren, ask God today to help you become very skilled in the art of spiritual warfare because the days ahead, especially, will require that we know how to Resist the devil. Take seriously Paul’s exhortation in 1 Timothy 6:12a – “Fight the good fight of faith. Lay hold on eternal life!
10) Finally my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might.
11) Put on the whole amour of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12) For we wrestle not against flesh & blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.